Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 15 Monday July 6th

I started yesterday saying "and then there were two", what I should have said was, "and then there was 1 and two". I look way too excited in this pic. But it is true, I came in first today. The last to leave Idaho falls and the first to reach Jackson Hole!

The day itself worked out great for me, but it really wasn't a great day at all. It was the worst we've had so far. The wind is not my friend. We started with a head wind til the first SAG. I complained to Karen and she says she made a request for a wind change. As she is speaking the wind did change. So we jumped on our bikes and headed toward Wyoming and our big climbs.

I hate to admit, but I had never really heard of the Tetons. Other people kept bringing it up and it became a must do for this trip. We finish climbing tomorrow. I could go home then and be happy. Today we got our first glimpse, they are amazing.

We picked up Chuck at the last SAG and Karen caught us once more for water before we hit the last climb. The Teton Pass. 3 mile climb at 9-12% grade. Quality! I set my pace and let the guys go on ahead. Slow and steady. It worked. Chuck stopped to take my picture. I kept going. As we neared the end I caught Doug pulled to the side. He cheered me on. My heart leapt a bit in gratitude. He's letting me get there first. Own that mountain, don't disappoint. Then it occurred to me, he wants a pic reaching the summit. I can do that. And I did.

As we regrouped. Took some photos caught our breathe, I asked if they wanted to stop in the next town for lunch or head straight into Jackson Hole? I'll never forget what happened next. Chuck says if I were you, I'd get on that bike straight to the hotel and sign in. First, you were first, and you earned it. You worked hard. I'll buy you your first beer.

So I did. Descending faster than I ever have straight to the hotel and got pictures. Later at lunch Doug congratulated me, I thanked him for letting get to the top first. He said no way, if he could have he'd have kept on going. So I earned it. First to sign in and maybe even a little respect.

-----
Sent from mBox Mail
Hotmail for iPhone and iPod Touch
http://www.fluentfactory.com/mboxmail

No comments:

Post a Comment